9/4/11

Smoked Brisket

Smoked Brisket


The night before I smoke I prep the brisket.
I prep my brisket by trimming most of the outside fat off, including the fat cap.
Weigh your brisket after trimming you can lose 3-4 lbs.
If its a whole brisket trim some of the fat that separates the flat cut and the point.
This makes it easier to separate the two half's to carve.
Personally the flat cut is the best. The whole cut has allot of waste.
After trimming fat cover the brisket in yellow mustard and apply your choice of rub.
Soak your wood my choice is apple or cherry.

Smoke at 225-250 degrees. Allow 1 1/2 hours a pound.
Spray after it reaches 100 degrees. I use a 3 part apple juice 1 part spiced rum mixture.
Spray every 30 to 60 minutes.
after it reaches 165 internal double foil it.
I stick it in the over now and take it to 205 degrees.
I wrap it in towels after it hits 205 and put it in a cooler for 1-2 hours.
This lets the juices redistribute back into the meat.

Remove from the cooler be careful it will still be very hot.
I separate the two pieces on a whole brisket.
Scrape the fat off in between the two half's.
Pay attention to the grain.
Start slicing perpendicular to the grain on a bias.
I slice the pieces about 1/4 inch thick.
this makes the meat almost melt in your mouth tender.
if its a flat cut find the grain and cut perpendicular on a bias.

this YouTube video is helpful: I just carve each piece separately
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGAP1DG_Vs8



No comments:

Post a Comment